Athletes & Artist Visas

At Veda T Maniquis – Attorney at Law, we offer specialized immigration services for both immigrant and nonimmigrant athletes and artists seeking to showcase their talent and pursue their careers in the United States. We understand the unique needs of individuals in these fields and are dedicated to providing personalized support and expert guidance.

Nonimmigrant Visas

Individual professional athletes, athletes or team members who are a part of a foreign based team and amateur hockey player.

Amateur athletes are permitted to enter the U.S. on a B-2 visa if they are coming to the U.S. to participate in a competition or for a social or charitable event.

The H-1B visa category allows athletes who are members of a “specialty occupation” to come to the U.S. to compete or participate in events.

The H-2B visa category allows athletes to come to the U.S. to compete or participate in events if the employer or sponsor can show that the need for the athlete is a one-time need or a seasonal, peak load or intermittent need.

Individuals with extraordinary ability in the sciences, education, business, or athletics (O-1A) or the arts, motion pictures or television industry (O-1B).

Individual or Team Athlete, or Member of an Entertainment Group. To perform at a specific athletic competition as an athlete or as a member of an entertainment group.

Artist or Entertainer (Individual or Group). For performance under a reciprocal exchange program between an organization in the United States and an organization in another country. Includes persons providing essential services in support of the above individual.

Artist or Entertainer (Individual or Group). To perform, teach or coach under a program that is culturally unique or a traditional ethnic, folk, cultural, musical, theatrical, or artistic performance or presentation.

Immigrant Visas

Foreign nationals who have either one MAJOR event or accomplishment or satisfy at least three of the special categories for the visa.

Individuals who have “exceptional ability” in the sciences, arts, or business (the government has interpreted this to include athletics).

  • Professionals: Professions that require a U.S. bachelor’s degree (or its foreign degree) related to the occupation, and that this degree is the normal requirement for entry into the occupation. Education and experience cannot be substituted for a bachelor’s degree.
  • Skilled Workers: Professions that require at least two years of job experience or training, not of a temporary or seasonal nature. Relevant post-secondary education may be considered as training.

To show that a beneficiary is of exceptional ability in the sciences or arts (excluding performing arts), the employer must submit documentary evidence testifying to the widespread acclaim and international recognition accorded to the beneficiary by recognized experts in the beneficiary’s field. In addition, the employer must submit documentation showing that the beneficiary’s work in that field during the past year did, and the intended work in the United States will, require exceptional ability. Finally, the employer must submit documentation concerning the beneficiary from at least two of the following seven categories, where “field” refers to the one in which the petitioner seeks certification for the beneficiary.

How Can We Help?

If you have any questions, always feel free to contact us.